For a complete C.V., click here (last updated 11/2015).
Campaign Advertising & Ads as News (selected publications)
- Fowler, Erika Franklin, Michael M. Franz and Travis N. Ridout. 2016. Political Advertising in the United States. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Franz, Michael M., Erika Franklin Fowler and Travis N. Ridout. Forthcoming. “Loose Cannons or Loyal Foot Soldiers? Toward a More Complex Theory of Interest Group Advertising Strategies.” American Journal of Political Science. DOI: 10.1111/ajps.12241.
- Ridout, Travis N., Michael M. Franz and Erika Franklin Fowler. 2015. “Sponsorship, Disclosure and Donors: Limiting the Impact of Outside Group Ads.” Political Research Quarterly 68(1): 154-166.
- Fowler, Erika Franklin and Travis N. Ridout. 2014. “Political Advertising in 2014: The Year of the Outside Group.” The Forum, A Journal of Applied Research in Contemporary Politics 12(4): 663-684.
- Ridout, Travis N. and Erika Franklin Fowler. 2012. “Explaining Perceptions of Advertising Tone.” Political Research Quarterly 65(1): 62-75.
- Fowler, Erika Franklin and Travis N. Ridout. 2009. “Local Television and Newspaper Coverage of Advertising.” Political Communication 26(2): 119-136.
Local Television News Coverage of Elections (selected publications)
- Fowler, Erika Franklin. 2012. “Making the News: Is Local News Coverage Really That Bad?” in Travis N. Ridout (ed). New Directions in Media and Politics. New York: Routledge.
- Fowler, Erika Franklin, Matthew Hale, and Tricia Olsen. 2009. “Spanish- and English-Language Local Television Coverage of Politics and the Tendency to Cater to Latino Audiences.” International Journal of Press/Politics 14(2): 232-256.
- Fowler, Erika Franklin, Kenneth M. Goldstein, Matthew Hale, & Martin Kaplan. 2007. “Does Local News Measure Up?” Stanford Law & Policy Review 18(2): 410-431.
Health & Health Policy News Coverage (selected publications)
- Fowler, Erika Franklin and Sarah E. Gollust. March 2015. “The Content and Effect of Politicized Health Controversies.” The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 658(1): 155-171.
- Gollust, Sarah E., Colleen Barry, Jeff Niederdeppe, Laura Baum and Erika Franklin Fowler. 2014. “First Impressions: Geographic Variation in Media Messages During the First Phase of ACA Implementation.” Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 39(5): 1-10.
- Fowler, Erika Franklin, Sarah E. Gollust, Amanda F. Dempsey, Paula M. Lantz, and Peter A. Ubel. 2012. “Issue Emergence, Evolution of Controversy, and Implications for Competitive Framing: The Case of the HPV Vaccine.” The International Journal of Press/Politics 17(2): 169-189.
- Gollust, Sarah E., Amanda F. Dempsey, Paula M. Lantz, Peter A. Ubel, and Erika Franklin Fowler. November 2010. “Controversy Undermines Support for State Mandates on the Human Papillomavirus Vaccine.” Health Affairs 29(11): 2041-2046.
- Niederdeppe, Jeff, Erika Franklin Fowler, Kenneth M. Goldstein and James Pribble. 2010. “Does Local TV News Cultivate Fatalistic Beliefs About Cancer Prevention?” Journal of Communication 60(2): 230-253.